Mobile Application UI Icon Redesign
2013 User Interface Design, Academic Project
Team Member: Kim Soo-yeon
WHAT IS INTERPARK
Interpark is one of the most famous web shopping malls in South Korea,
where a variety of products such as books, furniture, and show tickets are sold.
Despite its popularity, Interpark mobile application had a number of weaknesses;
the product categories were ineffectively positioned and some visual icons were difficult to distinguish
from one another due to superflous colors, causing confusion to its users.
Lack of Brand Identity
The Interpark brand image was not clearly demonstrated
on the front page.
Two search menus were located near one another
with different icons
There were mismatch between category names and the icons.
Some icons failed to visually represent the category.
The menus used often by the clients could not easily
and conveniently found.
The colors of the icons were inconsistent, making menu icons
difficult to distinguish one another.
* Create icons that users can easily recognize and understand
* Reflect the company’s identity through the icons
* Re-organize product categories and group relevant categories
○ Substituted the beauty menu from perfume icon into cosmetics icon.
○ Substituted the digital menu from outdated television icon to a laptop icon.
○ Substituted the leisure menu from car icon to camping icon in order to minimize confusion
○ Changed the fashion menu from a hanger, which can also be interpreted as a houseware, to a t-shirt.
Search → Book
○ Redesigned ￦1000 shop menu, whereby ‘1000’ is enlarged instead of sign to emphasize low price products.
○ Redesigned event menu from a shopping bag to a surprise box to make it more visually appealing.
○ Changed recently viewed menu from an eye icon to a clock icon in order to visually emphasize
the sense of time and recency.
○ Eliminated the overlap in the search menu by replacing one search icon with a book category,
which was a missing category on the list of menus.
ADDITION OF A USER MENU
In the previous UI, user related categories were not
visually separated from other menus.
In the moderated UI, user related categories were
visually distinguished from other shopping categories.
○ Created a user menu on the bottom of the main page.
○ Highten visibility by coloring icons red, which is the company’s